Sunday, November 13, 2011

Indie Spotlight - Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

EnchantmentEnchantment by Charlotte Abel

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I received this book as a part of R2R.


This is a young adult paranormal romance novel.

Book Summary:

Sixteen year old Channie Kerns leads an idyllic life of seclusion and magic deep in the Ozark Mountains ... until her family is forced to flee for their lives.

They leave everything and everyone behind to start over in Louisville, Colorado. Magic is forbidden while they are in hiding, but Channie can't resist the temptation to enchant a group of local boys. When her overbearing parents catch her flirting with these "sex-crazed, non-magical delinquints,” they slap a chastity spell on her to protect her virtue.
The spell is triggered by lust, so just navigating the halls at her new school is an ordeal. She can't even touch a boy she's attracted to without blasting him with a jolt of magical energy that feels like a taser.

When Channie falls in love with Josh Abrim, a BMX racer with dangerous secrets of his own, she rebels against her parents and turns to dark and forbidden magic to break the chastity spell ... with disastrous results


My review

This book was certainly enchanting. Overall it was a very good read. It certainly was different than anything else I’ve read. I really enjoyed it a lot. I haven’t read a lot of books that center around witchcraft, so I’m not as familiar. But for me it was really different. I enjoyed learning the mythology built in it. Once I got into the story, I was in it until the end. I laughed a few times at the situation the couple found themselves in. Plot lines, I haven’t seen before. The parents weren’t good as other reviews mentioned, but to me that made the story. The story centers on the parents being awful and how that translated to Channie. I won’t give spoilers away, but I only had a few problems with the story. I didn’t quite buy that Channie would reveal herself so easily to one of the characters. It was too quick in the story based on the fact that it had been so engrained in her how important it was for her abilities to remain hidden. Secondly, I thought that the story at the high school felt rushed. Some of the extra characters weren’t really developed or really needed. Then the romance between the couple was perilously closed to happening to fast to be realistic. But once past that, the story took off. Despite those few things, the story was really good.

I would recommend to those who like authors such as Rachel Vincent and Jeri-Smith Ready.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, I found your blog by googling "Enchantment by Charlotte Abel" Thanks so much for your thoughtful, in-depth review!

    The sequel, "Empty" is due out this month (January, 2012).

    Thanks again,
    Charlotte Abel

    ReplyDelete