Monday, March 19, 2012

Intertwined (Intertwined, #1) by Gena Showalter

Intertwined (Intertwined, #1)Intertwined by Gena Showalter

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is a young adult urban fantasy novel.

Book Summary

There’s something about the new guy at Crossroads High…

Most sixteen-year-olds have friends. Aden Stone has four human souls living inside him:

One can time travel.
One can raise the dead.
One can possess another human.
One can tell the future.

Everyone thinks he’s crazy, which is why he’s spent his entire life shuffled between mental institutions and juvie. All of that is about to change, however. For months Aden has been having visions of a beautiful girl—a girl who carries centuries-old secrets. A girl who will either save him or destroy him.

Together they’ll enter a dark world of intrigue and danger... but not everyone will come out alive.

My Review

So let me tell you a little about this story. There is a lot going on. But that didn’t bother me. In fact, I think that added to the appeal for me.

Step one. The writing was choppy and juvenile for me in the beginning. I guess the author was going for authentic teenage speak, but even the inner dialogue was the same. And for me, it made the story fall flat. Somewhere however, all that is eclipsed and the story really takes off for me. I was able to look past all of that.

Step Two. The characters. There are a lot of them. Despite the number, for the most part, the author does a great job of letting the reader to get to know enough about each to enjoy the story. Although only one really interested me.

Step Three. The plot. I have to say that this story is a mesh of all things paranormal. It may seem like a lot to some, but for me I found that the author did a really good job of putting it all together in an interesting way. There is a little paranormal for everyone. Because there was so much going on, I never really knew what was going to happen next. The author did a really good job of answering our questions not too soon or too late, but right before the reader might get frustrated which was good.

Overall, it was an interesting read. I would recommend for those paranormal readers who don’t mind reading a book with mini storylines that are unfolding and bringing in new aspects to the story with them along the way. But this story surely sets us up for the next one.

Audio Review
Jessica Almasy does an amazing job at keeping the high number of character straight with different voice inflections. I love her Julien. But I have to say, I probably enjoyed this story that much more because of her great narration.

My new hot book boyfriend is Riley.

Photobucket



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment