Monday, December 24, 2012

Two Graves (Helen #3) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Two Graves (Helen #3) by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child
 
This is an adult thriller series. (Rated R)
 
♥♥♥♥
(Four Heart Leaping Hearts)
 
Book Summary
 
For twelve years, he believed she died in an accident. Then, he was told she'd been murdered. Now, FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast discovers that his beloved wife Helen is alive. But their reunion is cut short when Helen is brazenly abducted before his eyes. And Pendergast is forced to embark on a furious cross-country chase to rescue her.
But all this turns out to be mere prologue to a far larger plot: one that unleashes a chillingly-almost supernaturally-adept serial killer on New York City. And Helen has one more surprise in store for Pendergast: a piece of their shared past that makes him the one man most suited to hunting down the killer.
His pursuit of the murderer will take Pendergast deep into the trackless forests of South America, to a hidden place where the evil that has blighted both his and Helen's lives lies in wait . . . a place where he will learn all too well the truth of the ancient proverb:
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.




My Review
 
Most people who know me or follow my reviews knows that crime/thriller/mystery/police procedurals were my first love in reading. Although I must admit to a secret love affair with the Sweet Valley High series when I was a kid. Anyway, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child were brought to my attention back when book stores still existed (a lot, lol). Which was only a few years ago. 
My favorite authors Patricia Cornwell, John Grisham, Sue Graton, and Mary Higgins Clark, just didn’t put enough books out to keep me reading. Then Twilight happened and I devoured the books. Although, only the first one was really worth reading. Anywho, the salesperson at the book store suggested this duo and I haven’t looked back since.  Then again, I was introduced to Goodreads and now I can’t keep up with my reading.
So back to this book. Although this book says the third, this is really like the twelfth or so in the series. It was a good read. We got to see another side of Pendergast and it was touch and go for a hot second. There were places were the book could have moved faster but for the most part, I was thoroughly entertained.
And since I find myself reading more and more YA and romance and paranormal, sometimes it’s hard to get back into these books which only come once a year.  But I don’t regret reading.
The first book in this series is Relic which was made into a movie years ago. I can only hope they may make another.
Audio Review
Rene Auberjonis continues this series. He isn’t a bad narrator. In fact he’s quite good. But I prefer Scott Brick’s reading of this series. Anyway, Rene does an excellent job with the accents and keeping the characters different enough that I didn’t have any trouble following along.
 
My book boyfriend Tristram. (Not sure on the spelling since I listened to the book.)


 
View all my reviews

*Disclaimer - I am not the owner of this picture. I found it on the web for causal fun use on my blog for which I receive no compensation. If this picture belongs to you (you are the copyright owner) please let me know and I will remove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment