Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep

Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy #1) by Jennifer Estep

This is a young adult paranormal fantasy novel (Rated PG-13)


♥♥♥♥
(Four Frosty Hearts)


Book Summary


My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...


My Review

So, I’m been looking to read this one for a while. However with review books, it’s hard for me to read a book. For my fun books, I must listen. So when this one was finally released on audio, I snagged it up. Talk about page turner and I wouldn’t have expected anything less. This story captured me so, I read each in the series back to back gobbling them up.

World Building – What a unique world using mythology as a back drop. It is unique and nothing like anything I’ve ever read which is great. And I love that this author keeps things realistic when it comes to teenage activity. Sex is mentioned but not in a detailed way and more about the general populous than Gwen herself.

Characters – Well let me tell that Gwen is a kick butt female lead even if she can’t fight. Why? Because she never backs down from one and strives to do the right thing no matter what. And then there is Logan. Bad boy Logan comes on the scene and I expected fireworks. But this author gives us a dose of reality and keeps this story more Urban Fantasy than Paranormal Romance.

And so what, the romance is slowly slowly building. I can’t say what happens as it will be a spoiler. But I’m okay with that. Kind of like Hunger Games, this story doesn’t need romance brimming on the front lines to keep you interested.

Plot wise it was entertaining. I have to keep in mind that this wasn’t necessarily written for me as I figured it out early. And sometimes that bothers me, but here I was happy to go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

If you haven’t read this book and like YA paranormal fantasy, you should read. It’s a good one.

Audio Review

Tara Sands does a great job with this one. I felt she had the right snark to capture the character the way I would have in my own head had I been reading. Very enjoyable experience.

My book boyfriend is Logan. 




View all my reviews

*Disclaimer - I am not the owner of this picture. I found it on the web for causal fun use on my blog for which I receive no compensation. If this picture belongs to you (you are the copyright owner) please let me know and I will remove it.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen this one before, sounds like something I would like though. Love your Logan too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really interesting. Unique world building. And thanks. Logan is really yummy.

    ReplyDelete