Friday, April 11, 2014

Twisted (Tangled #2) by Emma Chase

Twisted (Tangled #2) by Emma Chase
 
This is an adult contemporary romance novel (Rated NC-17)
 
♥♥♥
(Three Dreadful Hearts)
 
 
Book Summary
 
There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones who look first, and the ones who leap. I’ve always been more of a looker. Cautious. A planner. That changed after I met Drew Evans. He was so persistent. So sure of himself – and of me.

But not all love stories end happily ever after. Did you think Drew and I were going to ride off into the sunset? Join the club. Now I have to make a choice, the most important of my life. Drew already made his –in fact, he tried to decide for the both of us. But you know that’s just not my style. So I came back to Greenville. Alone. Well, sort of alone....

What I've come to realize is that old habits die hard and sometimes you have to go back to where you began, before you can move ahead.

TWISTED picks up two years after Tangled’s end, and is told from Kate’s POV.
 
 
 
My Review
 

I was pretty excited about this book despite the reviews. I assumed maybe people didn’t like that Kate narrated the story over Drew. So very wrong, I should have listened. I want my $12 I spent on the audio book back along with the “7” hours I spent listening.
Here’s the problem. The ‘technical’ aspect of the writing is good. There were some humorous and tender spots to the story. But I should mention the author did fall back to old comedy lines that have been overused. But that’s neither here nor there.
The real problem is that the whole story hinged on misunderstanding. If any of the characters would have used either the word cheating or pregnant, there wouldn’t have been a story. And I’m not talking about just Kate and Drew. It includes almost everyone who shows their face in the story after the whole “misunderstanding” took place.
Anywho. SPOILERS
Let’s talk. Let’s talk about the predictability of the story that just ruined it for me. I’m bringing out the bullet points, so you know things are bad.
·         First, Kate goes to see her “doctor” friend named Bobby, Bob, Roberta (that’s the order in which the names are revealed to us in the story). Immediately, I know Drew’s going to get the wrong idea.
·         And guess what, Kate makes an appointment to confirm pregnancy with her friend for the very same day. So why does Kate write that EVENING’s apt (& o’clock Bob) on her work calendar. Can I say there are several problems with this? Kate’s smart at least that’s what the author tells us. Why does she need a reminder about a same day appointment to confirm pregnancy? It’s something like that you don’t forget. The second problem, who in this day in age keeps a handwritten calendar? Really, most tech savvy folks and I imagine Kate and Drew are, would put appointments on their e-mail calendar or on their smart phone. There are so many ways the author could have accomplished this in a believable fashion.
·         Then Kate goes to the apt. She parks in a garage. Drew sees her. She doesn’t know. She’s hugging a guy and he makes the leap that she’s cheating. I’ll get to that in a moment. After the apt., she doesn’t go straight home, she walks around. “But she’s so excited to tell him???” Anyway, poor reason to have him believe she’s out with another guy for a long period of time.
·         About that same topic before I move on, when he says he knows. Why didn’t she ask him he knows what? It an obvious question. No, she assumes he saw her in a garage and knew she went to an OB/GYN apt. Really?
·         Okay Drew. I’m sorry. But he only sees her hugging a guy and instead of asking her if she’s cheating, he hires a stripper and puts on a show for Kate. It’s unforgivable. I don’t care how much in love she is. He didn’t have enough evidence to take that leap.
·         And why does DeDe call her husband asking what’s up with Drew and he doesn’t say ‘I agree with Drew because I can’t believe Kate cheated???’ Or why doesn’t Dolores say ‘how can Drew want Kate to abort the kid???’ No, this is what rational people would say. But if they did, this whole story wouldn’t work.
·         If any of these characters, Kate, Drew, Dolores, Matt, Kate’s mom, Her mom’s boyfriend, etc used the word cheating or pregnant, this story would have fallen apart.
Everything hinged on MISUNDERSTANDING. And anybody who knows me, know I hate that shit. I blasted J.R. Wars BDB series for that.
I could go on, but I’m tired and it’s not worth it. Let’s just say, I wish the author would have had Drew find out sooner he was stupid and spent the rest of the time on how he made it up to her. How they handled living apart. I wasn’t amused or entertained when intelligent characters acted dense. It was annoying as all hell that even when they came face to face they didn’t use the word cheating or pregnant until well into the conversation to the point it was almost over. Then, Kate doesn’t explain to her family why Drew was acting like an ass. Instead, she leaves him to hang out to dry and say she loves him and everyone should just accept him. Really. These characters don’t have any communication skills.
And for these reasons and others, I’m being generous by giving it three hearts. I’m rounding up because it’s still better than some other  stories.
Audio Review
Charlotte Penfield does a good job at narration except it moves too slow. It’s almost as if the producers wanted to stretch a 5.5 hour book into 7 hours. Uncommon for me, I listed to this audio book at  1.5x speed.
My book boyfriend Billy.

View all my reviews

*Disclaimer - I am not the owner of this picture. I found it on the web for causal fun use on my blog for which I receive no compensation. If this picture belongs to you (you are the copyright owner) please let me know and I will remove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment